How Not to Rant at a Writer

12/17/2008 03:42:00 PM | | 3 comments »

I strongly suspect these two geniuses are friends considering their emails arrived within minutes of each other, which brings us to suggestion #1: Don't ask your ignorant friends to back up your ignorant rant. It only multiplies the amusement.

The first email reads thus:

I guess opinions are just that.I Have prof that alot of what you say is trueth is a LIE. You should expect that at least some of us out here know the trueth. I am greatly affended that you you could be allowed to lie to people in this way.I'll pray the mother Goddess helps you. As you are clearly a VERY lost soul. Futher more you surely are not a witch. By the way Margret Ann Murry was a respected Anthropologist,And Paleantologist. She did present tangiable evidence.

Oh, where to start?

Suggestion #2: If you're going to lecture about opinions and facts, you should understand the difference.

Suggestion #3: Name calling only makes you look childish. If you want to convince people I am lying, you need to actually offer an argument supporting such a claim.

Suggestion #4: Proofread, learn to spell, and understand basic grammar. "Trueth" is not a word. And I would have thought if you respected Murray so much you would at least get her name right. If you don't know her name, what are the chances you understand her writings? I get it that people occasionally miss a key, but I can count 15 glaring errors at first glance.

Suggestion #5: Don't ever give credit to Murray in a witchcraft discussion. Educated people will just laugh. No one has respected her for several decades on the topic. She was respected as an Egyptologist, which is not the topic we're discussing. Some people respected her anthropological writings on witches, but only because no one else was working on the topic. She was never a paleontologist. Now you're just grabbing big words in at attempt to sound educated.

The second writer, however, I think is even more succinct in his idiocy:
First of all I think you need to do your research. You also need to open your eyes. Witchcraft was the first relighion in the world. Through out all history man has believed in a multitude of GODS. FACT, no matter what religion or religious title you give it dowism Wicca or Garneranianthe fact is any religion that believes in a multitude of GODS is witchcraft. [emphasis mine] Fact, and I myself am a witch. I take my religion very seriously. So do the world a favor don't write any books on witchcraft. You clearly don't know a thing about it.

I'm pretty darn sure this person wouldn't know what research was if it smacked him in the face, since he's apparently confused by dictionary definitions.

Suggestion #6: Understand the words you are using. I can't even begin to guess how this person thinks "witchcraft" means "belief in multiple gods." Webster is rolling in his grave. If you can't even define it, I'm certainly not going to trust you can explain it.

By the way, I don't believe Daoism (not "dowism," which I can only guess is worship of the Dow Jones Industrial Average) even has gods. And "Gardnerian" is generally an adjective, not a noun.

Suggestion #7: Know what you're actually protesting. Does this person really think my website is about witchcraft? Are they reading some other site? My site is about Wicca. If I wrote a book, it certainly wouldn't be on witchcraft. I guess my sporadic mentions of witchcraft just got their panties in a bunch as I threatened to shatter their fantastical little world where they followed the world's oldest religion.

3 comments

  1. Makarios // December 18, 2008 at 2:09 AM  

    Your learned correspondent writes:

    "I'll pray the mother Goddess helps you. As you are clearly a VERY lost soul."

    It occasionally happens that the richly nuanced English language is inadequate to convey my feelings, and I must resort to foreignisms.

    Oy veh!

    I wonder if this person (whom I imagine to be a fourteen-year-old girl who has recently acquired her first Silver Ravenwolf book) realizes how much she sounds like Jerry Falwell.

  2. Anonymous // December 18, 2008 at 2:24 AM  

    Wow. Just wow. Do you think these people actually read what they've written before they hit that send button?

  3. FireWillow // December 21, 2008 at 7:05 AM  

    ROTFLMAO!!

    Perhaps they can collaborate on a website and blog and share their "trueths" that are borne of their obvious comprehensive research of SRW's and "Murry"'s works so others that follow their path of witchcraft won't be so easily "affended."