Is the God/Goddess of the WICCAN faith capable of changing a willing person to be better suited for daily living, i.e.; removing fear, anger, worry, and other character defects? Our primary purpose is to help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety by helping them to find a power greater then themselves and helping them to developed a personal relationship to said higher power. 
I have a little hesitancy in answering this question because I view the exact partnership between an individual Wiccan and his or her gods to be a matter of personal gnosis: one person's experience is not necessarily the same as the next person's, and there's no independent method of verifying which experiences are "valid." As such, I've decided to answer from my own personal experience and hope that my words are taken as such.

I do not ask nor expect my gods to change my life. My life is my own and I am the one ultimately responsible for it's direction. However, I certainly can turn to them for assistance in such matters. It may sound like splitting hairs to you, but for me I see a wide gulf between my gods removing my fears and my gods assisting me in overcoming fears.

Maybe a simpler answer is: yes, a Wiccan working on his personal relationship with his gods can certainly be helpful in overcoming the hurdles in his life. We don't see our gods as being totally separate from the world. As we better understand them, we can better find our own inner strengths, that divine spark within us.

1 comments

  1. Phoenix Rising // August 25, 2009 at 6:36 AM  

    Oh my!! Goddesses and Gods don't change people - people change themselves through discipline, will, and desire! Your aim of improving the lives of alcoholics is socially acceptable and even laudable, but your idea of finding a Deity to IMPOSE change upon people is ethically WRONG! If such a Deity existed, I would advise that we all throw in the towel and accept 'robot' status.
    I agree that developing a personal relationship with a Deity or Deities can inspire change in one's self. I also fully agree about the 'wide gulf' between imposed change and change through personal choice with faith in the 'moral support' of a Deity.
    We all have within us the capability to beneficently run our own personal lives. It only requires the conscious decision to abandon the 'take care of me' attitude of childhood and adolescence, and determine to become adults and take on the personal responsibilities of maturity. "I can't help it" is a cop-out, IMHO.
    In the case of alcoholism, millions of people successfully quit drinking and stay sober; perhaps those who don't really have no wish to. They get lots of attention as a payoff for alcoholism, even if it is often negative. For some, negative attention is better than no attention...
    Blessings~~Phoenix Rising