I  had it in mind to go through these points in-depth over time, but the question was just asked on Yahoo!Answers about personal beliefs, so I figured I'd share the list I typed up.

I believe in my god and goddess, and I presume there are others in existence

I believe all actions have consequences

I believe energy out requires energy in: you don't get a large result from little effort

I believe the spiritual and material worlds are reflections of one another and connected

I believe the gods evolve as the world evolves

I believe that balance and moderation is good, and extremism in any form is not

I believe harm is a necessary part of life, but we should generally strive for what harms
least, and harm should have a positive purpose (i.e. survival or protection, for example rather than vengeance or blind anger)

I believe there can be negative consequences for good actions

I DON'T believe that the universe returns things threefold.

I DON'T believe that good actions produce all good things and bad actions produce all bad things. The universe does not hand out cookies.

I believe good and evil are choices, not forces.

I find this exercise to be useful.  Studying religion can be incredibly complex, and people are often overly caught up in the whats and hows rather than the whys. For all of the shelves of knowledge in my head, I can condense my major beliefs into a handful of sentences, and those statements are the basis of how I view the world and live life.

1 comments

  1. thehallwayceiling // July 13, 2010 at 6:56 PM  

    Hoorah for number 10!