While I am not a manic depressive, I certainly have a certain minor manicness to my creativity.  I'm in one of those periods now.  I approached this blog today with some trepidation.  I haven't been in the mood to write.  Yet once I started writing, I wanted to continue.  I tend to work like this.

It's probably why my projects are so unfocused.  I flit from one thing to the next.  I'm not someone who wants to invest a lot of time into something long-term...which would be why I've never really made any money from my various hobbies, and why I would be a terrible shop owner.

I'm also slowly realizing that what I like more than writing is actually speaking, which is rather a shock to an introvert like me.  I think that's why I'm more successful online than in print:  less time investment and with a certain expectation of feedback and give-and-take.  It's why I've largely given up my book projects, but I'm still teaching after three years.  (Also, I get paid for being a teacher, while writing only offers a hope of getting paid at some point in the future)

Incidentally, it took me forever to figure out I wanted to teach.  When I announced I wanted to major in history, everyone presumed I wanted to teach.  I didn't.  Even when I went to grad school for history, teaching was my backup plan (although, I confess, I didn't really have a fleshed out "plan A").  As an adjunct professor/associate lecturer (the title keeps changing), the pay is lousy, but it's the second best job I've ever had (and the best job was with a company with an untenable business plan and no longer exists).

0 comments