I have recently began to study Wicca. I have always been interested in it, but just recently started actually researching it. However, I really don't know where to start. I am currently reading Wicca For the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham and I like it very much. I have some stuff to put on my altar, but does that come later? As far as a God and Goddess, I have always been extremely drawn to ancient Egypt, RA especially. Is anyone accepted as a God and Goddess? After I complete the book, what should my next step be?
Let me start off with some reading suggestions. http://wicca.timerift.net/book_reccomendations.shtml contains a suggested reading list for beginners. It's broken down into topics so you can focus on particular areas as you wish, although I really suggest the first group of books be read first. Many of those books are reviewed on this site and you can order them from Amazon through the site as well. In addition, you can read other reviews here: http://wicca.timerift.net/books.shtml.

Second, I've created a document entitled "How does one Become Wiccan?" at http://wicca.timerift.net/wicca101/become_wiccan.shtml. I think you will find some of your answers in there.

Third, I'll address the specific points you mention. Everything should have a purpose. If an altar means something to you, than use it. If it doesn't mean something, or you feel like you're just shopping off a list for it, then wait until it does mean something and you do have a use for it. One of the biggest dangers I find with eclectics (and I've fallen for it myself) is that they want to do things "right" so they emulate what they read in books even though they really don't have a use for it yet.

There is no approved list of deities in Wicca. Some, I think, work better than others, but the final determination of that has to be you. My suggestion is that if you are finding specific deities calling to you, answer them. Study them. And as you learn more about them and about Wicca, you may discover that deity wasn't actually calling you (personally, Athena has always been one of my favorite deities, but I don't actually have a relationship with her. She's not the one who called me), or you may discover that your choice of deity is right but Wicca may not be the best framework. (I would suggest Kemetic Paganism as an alternative in that case.) Alternatively, you may find that everything works out fine. It's a process of growing and learning.

As for next steps: keep reading, keep practicing, keep learning. Religion is a lifelong endeavor.

1 comments

  1. coffingal // November 3, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

    I have recently become more informed and interested in Wicca. I am 14 years old which i know is young, but i know this is the path that i want to take. I have felt a pull toward things like this for quite sometime, and especially the goddess Nyx. I would really like to learn more and read books on it, but my parents are fully against it and now matter how much i try to explain they dont listen. They believe in their god only, and anything other than that is wicked or evil. I try to read as much online as i can, but i can only read so much. Im trying to understand magic and the consequences and gifts that come with it. Your site has helped me alot and i was just wondering if you could give me any more advice and information.