Over these last couple of weeks I've been reading up Zoroastrianism and I'm struck by the centrality of the good vs. evil struggle within the theology of that faith. Zoroastrians strive to do good because it literally contributes to the order of the universe.

Personally, I've long been suspicious of good and evil dichotomies, but the more I read and empathize, the more I suspect that perhaps my real objection is to the applications of such dichotomies to various theologies rather than the dichotomy itself. I am vehemently opposed to a Satanic figure who goes around making people evil, and I generally reject the notion of people being inherently evil: people choose to do evil things, but no matter how much evil one commits, he or she may always choose goodness in the future (and vice-versa).

Furthermore, I abhor the behavior of certain neopagans who drag their Christian notions of good and evil into their new faith, declaring that Nature itself is all good and benevolent and only wishes the best for us. Even cursory knowledge of current events shows this to be false as hurricanes, tsunamis and other disasters wipe out thousands upon thousands of people.

But in writing off good and evil as solely the results of choices and free will, I am considering we may be throwing out the baby with the bath water. Evil is a powerful force to combat. It is out there. It may not be bound up in a red man with a pitchfork, and it may not be promoted by anyone specifically devoted to being evil, but there are people who effectively champion it, such as those slaughtering civilians in Darfur. There's also a danger in labelling such people as evil, because the label tends to bring along a tendency for people to stop looking at the mundane causes and reasons for such behavior. But there's also dangers in not facing the full spectrum of what an enemy is.

1 comments

  1. Unknown // October 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM  

    Now, this interests me. I've long thought that it's largely "In the way that you use it" This is where ethics, rather than morals come into play. I have many skills and have much history in that which might be called "evil". I have meditated and struggled with this for twenty years.I think the dichotomy you see might not be necessarily about good and evil at it's root,but the fear of personal responsibility and the power (or abuse of such)that comes from making difficult choices in impossible circumstances.If I have a "specialty" in my practice (and it is practice)of Wicca, it's this subject.It does not make me expert, but it certainly gives me a broad background of thought.

    You must keep your weapons sharpened, but take care not to cut yourself, and never forget your duty is to others, not an ideology.

    BTW, Thank you for the site. Without it, I'd still be looking for a home, rather than building one, and doing the job I was tasked with.

    Happynomad