There's a definite change in my spirituality of late. For the first time in my life, I'm finding myself wanting physical representations of my faith around the house. I've never collected statues or been drawn to "Blessed Be" plaques. I've never had a permanent shrine or altar; rather, I simply get the appropriate tools out when needed for a ritual. I've never felt a need to hide such things. I've just never wanted or needed them.

That has suddenly changed in the last few weeks. I'm not sure why, although there's a lot of change in my life right now, and maybe I'm making a sort of spiritual fresh start. I've picked up a pentacle for the wall - one of those traditional ones with the degree symbols on the top, the god and goddess symbols on the side and the mercy/severity symbol on the bottom. I've also found a Cernunnos resin kit from Neil Sims that I've ordered. I particularly like the fact that it's a kit so I can contribute to its final creation.

My goddess image is more problematic. While the quality of Wiccan statuary has improved remarkably over the years, I still haven't found a goddess figure. I'm basically down to three possibilities:


I'm tending toward the central figure. The wings are iffy. I do strongly associate the wing motif with the Morrigan, but I also don't see her with actual wings. I may just have to compromise on that one. By the way, she can be found at CelticJackalope.com, which seems like an actually decent resource.

At some point I might acquire this one as well. At the moment I'm really looking for more of a warrior-type representation, but this one speaks to me quite a bit as well.

I think I'm going to go for a shrine rather than an altar once I assemble things. It'll be a place to honor my gods, maybe leave votives and trinkets. I still see no need to put my tools on display as I would on a permanent altar. They are just that: tools. I get them out when they have a use, the same way I get a hammer. I personally continue to find no spiritual use in using them as decorative elements around the house.

2 comments

  1. Lark // November 11, 2008 at 12:26 PM  

    Dryad Designs does do some lovely figures. I have the one of Danu that you posted a picture of, and I also have their Cerridwen and their Morrigan. You might want to look at the picture of their Morrigan. I like her because it shows her as a Celtic warrior. I too had trouble with the other figure with the wings. http://www.magicalomaha.com/dryadhomedecor.htm And here's a closeup of her. http://www.magicalomaha.com/0915/311smrs.jpg

    -Lark-

  2. Catherine Noble Beyer // November 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM  

    I am a fan of Dryad Designs, particularly several of their wall panels. However, I don't particularly like their Morrigan. Part of it is the position of her head, which looks unnatural to me.

    A couple years ago I actually bought one of them as a sort of "make do" moment, and she was delivered broken. I felt no urge to replace her, and took that as a sign I should keep looking.