just fyi ravenwolf is my mentor's friend. while you have the right to say as you wish, tread lightly please.

The above email arrived in my box this week. No name. No email address. (Way to express your sincerity.)

I'm not quite sure what to even make of it. "Tread lightly please." Why, because it makes you feel bad? Because you think I'm off the mark? Because you fear Ravenwolf will stalk me in the night if I don't?

"Ravenwolf is my mentor's friend." OK, and...? Does your mentor require you to stick up for all of his or her friends? Does the fact that Ravenwolf's friends are sometimes mentors somehow make Ravenwolf less nonsensical? Are you pointing out that Ravenwolf does, in fact, have friends? (I've always presumed she does, for the record. I don't depict her as some sort of social shut-in.) Seriously, inquiring minds want to know. Why should any of this matter to me?

I have no wish to unnecessarily trample Ravenwolf. I comment on her published works, not her personally. (I don't even know her pesonally.) And I do it to warn people away from her highly problematic and erroneous materials, not specifically out of any spite directed toward the woman.

And, heck, if someone reads my article and STILL thinks Ravenwolf is a good source, that's their business. It's a free country. I'm just offering information...information I can regularly source, which is more than Ravenwolf does. What the reader does with said information is up to them. But so long as she puts out clearly false information, or makes clearly unethical recommendations, I'm going to warn others about it.

1 comments

  1. Rob Taylor // November 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

    I've often gotten these threat/guilt trips from Wiccans who don't like some point I've made. Modern people are pretty thin skinned these days, instead of enjoying some spirited debate over the merits of some author it's more likely that someone will attempt to shut down debate through emotional blackmail. It's a shame because Wicca in particular and the Metaphysical/New Age/Occult community in general need to have many issues debated if we're to keep from stagnating and becoming little more than a live action role playing game where everyone plays the same character.