Celebrating the Sabbats

12/21/2009 04:03:00 PM | | 1 comments »

I've never been big on holidays. Not as a Christian. Not as a Wiccan. This year, however, I'm feeling decidedly down about not marking the seasons in some meaningful way. And I stress meaningful way. I've never been one to hang random decorations around the house and then tell myself that means something.

I realize only recognize two of the Sabbats: Samhain and Beltane, and I often don't even doing anything specific to mark those two days. In that past, I was content with that, but now I'm feeling....disconnected?

I think part of it is peer pressure. Thanks to Facebook, I'm aware of the number of friends who have celebrated Yule in some way. But I don't feel particularly compelled to join the local ones in their celebrations (I've never had a good experience with a public gathering).

The Lesser Sabbats are particularly problematic. Personally, I find a lot of them largely represent things dealt with on the Greater Sabbats. In addition, the fact that Gardner added them to his ritual year so the Wiccans and Druids could party together more often doesn't exactly reinforce importance.

1 comments

  1. Christina // December 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

    I have always felt alone in my lack of grand participation with the sabbats. It is nice to hear that someone else is a bit lackluster with the big group events. I enjoy being solitary and I find my own rituals and celebrations are more profound for me. Perhaps I am a cranky ole hermit crone but it makes me happy.