So, I was over on Facebook, and I was assaulted with an advertisement for "Free Wiccan Enrollment," which, among other things, promises training from "First to Elder." And I thought, "Oh, this will be good. Is this the Corellian Tradition, or has someone else upped the cheese factor?"

Meet the Sacred Mists Online Wiccan College. It teaches a blend of Celtic Traditional and Faerie Wicca, which I can only translate as "random grabs of shoddy scholarship and plagiarism, dumped on top of a vague and undefined God and Goddess."

But wait, there's more! They'll train you to be a High Priestess and ordain you! (I would LOVE to know if these people even have the legal capability for ordination, or if they are confused as to what ordination means. In any event, the ULC will ordain you for free.) In addition, you'll get "A beautiful custom Certificate of Degree Attainment" after every elevation. But wait, how can I be elevated online? Don't worry! They have "online degree initiations" as well as other "online rituals"! I'm sure those are just as effective as in person. [/sarcasm]

Classes will cover such topics as "Tarot, Potion Craft, Candle Making and Magick, Kitchen Witchcraft, Healthy Witches, Scrying, Pendulum Use, Runes, Palmistry, Reiki, Ogham, Astrology, [and] Numerology." In other words, absolutely nothing that has to do with Wicca. Bravo. Well done. Now tuck those bunny ears back under those pointy little hats.

8 comments

  1. Christina // September 1, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

    Good grief, I thought it was a joke, then I went to the website. Ugh, where do these people come from.

  2. thehallwayceiling // September 1, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

    Grrrr! This sounds just as stupid as the Frost's School of Wicca. Thanks to crap like this I have to hear people complaining that they'd love to be Wiccan but do not want to pay for it. Capitalizers and stupid people= thorn in my side.

  3. Unknown // September 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM  

    The site is quite beautiful but that is where my compliments stop. I read the description for the Herb courses. I don't understand how they are able to teach some of the things listed but what really caught my breath was how much the course cost. $250.00 is really extreme. I agree that these places are questionable.

  4. Anonymous // September 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

    Well, if this isn't a satisfactory teaching of the craft to you, then what is? Wicca? The same boring shit about the wheel of the year and the preachy nonsense about the threefold law? Puh-leese. I'm glad to see that SOMEONE is still teaching WITCHCRAFT (albeit I'm sure a watered-down-for-the-masses kind.) But at least someone's still learning the craft of the wise - and not just some pseudo-historic religious garbage.

  5. Catherine Noble Beyer // September 19, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

    @randomfactor555
    If you want to teach witchcraft, call it witchcraft. Don't call it Wicca. That's called...LYING.

    And no, I wouldn't want a site to teach pseudo-historical garbage.

    But lets be honest here. You clearly just came to complain. No one who has spent more than five minutes reading what I have to say would even make such a suggestion.

  6. Ida // October 6, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

    Randomfactor, Wicca is Wicca. Nothing on that website, other than the name, has anything to do with Wicca. Why call it a "Wiccan College" if they are going to teach anything but?

    This is why people don't understand Wicca, or see it as a joke. Its true roots and true belief system are hidden under new age crap and totally forgotten. Gardner must be rolling in his grave.

    And also, Wicca doesn't mean craft of the wise, and it isn't Latin. It's Old English. I'm so sick of everyone telling me it does. Wicca means "Male Witch", according to Gardner's HPS, Doreen Valiente:

    http://web.archive.org/web/20040817223924/www.sacred-texts.com/bos/bos620.htm

  7. Unknown // March 22, 2016 at 6:48 AM  

    I am a member of Sacred Mists. I love it there. I've been a Wiccan for 17 years and still joined. There classes are great, clear and concise, and I've had many powerful experiences doing ritual online as well as in person. And who are you to smear someone else. That certainly isn't at the core ethics in Wicca. Am I talking to Christians? Well then I'd be wasting my time. Which I seem to be now. Sorry it's not your kind of Wicca, but it is Wicca, and classes are amazing.

  8. Tina // April 11, 2020 at 7:40 PM  

    Funny how people can be so judgmental when they know nothing about this school because they are not members. If you don't want to join - then don't, but don't bash it from the advertisement. It just makes you know-it-alls look ignorant. It actually is a wonderful school with a lot of support for those who have questions and a ton of information about different things where you can find nowhere else. If it wasn't a good school, it would not have so many members.