I gave up thinking of my country, the United States as particularly progressive some years ago.  Today I found one more reason to discount that claim:  South Africa has a Wiccan member of Parliament.

Just for the record, the number of Wiccan members of the US Congress is zero. No member of the US House of Representatives nor the US Senate identifies himself as any form of neopagan. Wikipedia gives a neat breakdown of the current religious demographics.


Read more:  South Africa Parliament Has Neopagan Member @ About.com
(Sorry, I'm not allowed to publish About.com blog posts in full on other sites)

1 comments

  1. thehallwayceiling // August 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM  

    I'm not sure how I would feel with a Neopagan in our government. There are so many different types and they all have different ethics. I'd be worried that their code of ethics would suddenly be the picture in every member of the United States minds. It would be frustrating trying to explain to people that we do not all agree on everything. I know it seems common knowledge that people have differing views even in the same religion/culture, but people are kinda stupid. That's harsh, I know, but so many people are idiotic.