The State of Me Address

5/19/2011 03:25:00 PM | 5 comments »

This is looking to be a good summer.  Classes are done, and thanks to medication I'm neither exhausted nor depressed, so hopefully the next three months will be more productive than last summer.

My FAQ has made it through the first round of cuts at Llewellyn Publishing.  Crossing my fingers on the second meeting, to be held sometime in June.

I have another manuscript in the works, and I'm determined to finish the rewrites this summer.  Several years ago Llewellyn turned it down but made a host of helpful suggestions.  This manuscript is actually from where the To Know, Will and Dare name came.

I also have two other writing projects planned for the future.

Trying to lose the 20 pounds I've put on over the past year due to health problems.  Simply counting calories is not enough for me, so this is the goal I'm most pessimistic about.  Starting with making sure I bike every chance the weather gives me.

Need to retool the PPTs for the all semester, since I'm masochistic enough to switch textbooks.

Have not yet gotten a notification of my two Students from Hell appealing (another) failing grade for cheating.  Hopefully they've finally admitted I'm neither as dumb nor as wimpy as they keep presuming.

Cousin is getting married this weekend, then it's off to Michigan to visit friends and family, and finally next weekend will be the World Steam Expo.  On a related note, the piles of costume sewing in the living room will finally move elsewhere.

Changed the color scheme of the blog.  May do further redesigns. Depends on my mood.

Started doing a bit of modeling again, mostly Steampunk related.  I forgot how much fun it could be.  My artistic endeavors have been sidelined for the moment by my other projects, so this gives me a visually creative outlet.

5 comments

  1. Anonymous // May 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM  

    I've been having great success and feeling healthier and have lost weight following the paleo diet/way of life... It has helped with my recovery times from workouts, given me more energy, and more. Essentially eat more lean protein, lots of veggies, some fruits nuts and seeds. Cut back/cut out all grains, dairy, legumes and sugar. Try that and keep a food log, then after a couple weeks of clean eating, add back in a food or category and see how it makes you feel... I don't count calories, but crossfit promotes paleo diet with zone diet portion control, which groups food in "blocks". You figure out how many blocks/day you're supposed to eat based on weight and calculated body fat based on hip and waist measurements and your activity level. YMMV, but that, plus getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, and doing crossfit which combines weight training and some cardio has worked well for me over the last year...

  2. Catherine Noble Beyer // May 20, 2011 at 2:53 AM  

    It might very well help. The problem is I really don't want to give up my carbs, although I know that carbs are a problem for me and weightloss. So, first I'll see if I can just exercise it down. if not, then I may have to do something more drastic, like what you suggest.

  3. Anonymous // May 20, 2011 at 7:54 AM  

    I guarantee it would help... but if you don't want to give up all carbs, pick something to reduce or make a special treat maybe? Go for the highest quality carbs you can if/when you choose to consume them and not just something that happens to be around. Try a sandwich using a lettuce wrap instead of bread and adding more protein instead? Have more eggs & bacon or ideally leaner/healthier meat with veggies for breakfast instead of defaulting to breakfast cereal (heck, even oatmeal would be a step in the right direction for lower carb/more fiber, depending on what you may eat now... just speculating, have no idea... ) Have a really really good dessert in a small but satisfying quantity rather than multiple less satisfying desserts? Make them from scratch vs. buying store bought full of preservatives if possible, etc.

    Even if you change nothing dietarily, try keeping a food log for a few weeks. I've found just writing down what I'm eating, whether or not I share that information with anyone else, made me more aware of my food choices and not wanting to eat certain things that I didn't want to write down... and then when I did eat something, I could reflect and see how that made me feel afterward. A friend discovered she was more likely to eat more carbs the next day if she didn't get a good night's worth of sleep. Etc...

  4. Dylan Whitestag // May 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

    Just wanted to throw a quick comment on here to wish you luck on your writing ventures.

    I have appreciated your website the past few years, and if you can get anything published through Llewellyn it will be a great thing for their reputation.

    Best of luck!

  5. CDMHartlen // May 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM  

    Good luck with all of your goals this summer. As a long-time reader of your website I'm really excited to see something in print!