I'm back in Wisconsin and recovering from the World Steam Expo.  It's quite a bit larger than TeslaCon and the various steampunk events I have previously attended: lots of panels, activities, vendors, shows, dances, and just random goofiness.

This first image is me rappelling off a platform. This is a kind of amazing experience for me because it requires no hand strength to keep yourself stable on the rope: it's all friction.

After four days, I was pretty much exhausted.  And I wasn't even drinking.  Monday was a VERY tired day for a great many of my fellow conventioneers.

 I've enjoyed costuming for a number of years, even though I'm not really a fan of sewing.  For the first time in years I've been motivated to sew and create new costumes, and the results were relatively well-received.  Of particular note: my hat and monocle.  No one even recognizes me when I take them off.

At right, you see Lucretia Strange, my Steampunk persona.  The image is done by Mark Chamberlin of Chamberlin Photography.

Anyone see the steampunk episode of Castle?  Remember the steampunked arm Nathan Fillion wore?  Yeah, this guy made that.
 Phenomenal costuming from a random attendee. 

 Putting the punk back in steampunk.

 Steampunk isn't just about costuming.  It's also about invention.  Fantastic weaponry are the most common inventions, but there's plenty of variety.  This gentleman had a steam-powered skateboard.  Apparently it's even possible for him to put a remote control on it.

 A female, steampunked Deadpool, anyone?

 Let your baby travel in steampunk style too!  It's a one-baby dirigible.  It even has an instrument panel.  And, yes, they really were rolling their child around in this.

0 comments