There's a bike path near my house that I regularly traverse on my bicycle for exercise.  It runs along a creek and a series of artificial ponds, and there's a variety of plant and wildlife to be found in the area.

Yesterday I came across the smallest fawn I've ever seen.  No mother in sight.  It was tottering along the edge of the tall grass, just feet from the path.  It completely didn't even notice me.

Apparently wisdom really does come with age, even in the animal world.  And ignorance is only bliss until it gets you killed.

Last yesr we had two bunnies in our yard that we named Bashful and Dopey.  Bashful behaved like a bunny should, running away whenever we even thought of approaching it.  Dopey, on the other hand....Dopey was dumb.  Dopey regularly hung out in the same spot of our yard, and his defense mechanism was to simply hold really, really still, no matter how close we got.  I got within about two feet once.

We haven't seen Dopey this year.  I sure hope he has simply stopped acting dopey (which is the only way we could identify him), as opposed to being deceased.

0 comments